Choosing the right routine to keep your skin healthy and looking good can be a minefield. What works best to clear pesky blackheads, whiteheads and acne can differ by skin type and lifestyle. The truth is, you pretty much have to experiment with different products to see which ones work best for you. What most dermatologists will tell you though, is that a consistent skincare routine with superstar ingredients will help level the playing field when it comes to banishing blemishes.
What Causes Skin Blemishes?
There are a number of different types of skin blemishes, and they each have their own causes. For example, one common skin condition is acne scarring which is clearly the result or acne-prone skin in the past, and the causes of acne can also include a range of factors, such as acne causing bacteria, hormones and stress levels.
Other stubborn blemishes may be caused by more universal factors, for example, age spots are obviously age-related and dark spots can be the result of sun damage.
How To Get Rid Of Blemishes Naturally
Lifestyle, hormones, diet and exposure to environmental stressors must all be factored in when finding a blemish-fighting solution. Yet there are some things you can do to help get rid of blemishes naturally using basic ingredients you may already have at home.
For example, one popular remedy for more beautiful skin is apple cider vinegar which has grown in popularity in recent years. Apple cider vinegar, or ACV, can be used both topically as a skin toner or to get rid of spots, as well as taken as a health supplement to boost your skin and wellness holistically.
Aloe vera is another popular health food supplement that has wonderful anti-inflammatory effects on your whole body, and the gel version has also been used as an age-old remedy for sunburn and sensitive skin.
The Right Skincare Routine For Skin Conditions
It's possible to use natural ingredients and remedies to get rid of individual blemishes such as dark spots or dark patches, or to soothe any skin irritation, but the right skincare routine can help you to prevent skin problems in the future.
If you're looking to reduce the appearance of skin issues, there are a few fail-safe steps to paving the way to more beautiful skin. These include supporting the skin's natural oils, opting for natural ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties, protection against sun exposure, and addressing underlying health conditions.
However, as a basic rule for eliminating common skin conditions such as blackheads, whiteheads and acne, there are a few specific products and ingredients that you’ll want to include in your routine. (As with any new skincare regime, take the necessary precautions for allergic reactions.)
A Morning Routine To Get Rid Of Skin Blemishes
- Cleanse. A consistent cleansing routine for acne-prone skin is especially important when it comes to clogged pores and blemished skin. Depending on your skin type you may want to cleanse morning and evening. If cleansing twice a day is too harsh for your skin, just give your face a gentle rinse with water in the morning and save your cleanser for the evening. We recommend our Electro-Lite Gel Cleanser - its gentle gel-to-foam formula with exfoliating Biotech Enzyme and Hydroclay works to deeply cleanse and refine the skin’s texture, keeping your skin in tip-top condition all day.
- Gently exfoliate. Depending on your skin type, try using glycolic acid or a soft scrub to remove dirt and prevent dead skin cells from clogging pores and causing acne. When it comes to tackling blackheads, it’s worth trying a salicylic acid-based exfoliator 2-3 times a week to give a one-two punch through manual exfoliation combined with the dirt-dissolving powers of salicylic acid.
- Moisturise with an antioxidant serum. Don’t be afraid to moisturise. Hydration is key to regulating the production of sebum. Lightweight water-based hydrating serums can bring the luminosity you love, while keeping excess oil at bay.
Vitamin C antioxidant serums are supremely effective in acne control because they hydrate while acting as both a protector and preventer. Vitamin C protects against aggressors such as UV and air pollution that inflame and damage the skin. It also helps to prevent damage by stimulating the production of new, healthy cells.
Broad Spectrum sunscreen is vital to any skincare routine. It helps prevent UVA/UVB damage that can trigger excess oil production and darkening of acne scars.
An Evening Routine To Get Rid Of Skin Blemishes
- Remove make-up gently and daily. No excuses. Make-up must be removed to avoid clogging pores, dead skin cells and dirt from the day. Use a gentle cleanser and gentle hands to remove all traces of cosmetics. Avoid pulling and tugging the skin as this can cause irritation and sensitivity, not to mention fine lines.
- Cleanse. Use a gentle face wash or cleansing balm to thoroughly cleanse skin. The key to dealing with blackheads and whiteheads is to unclog pores to prevent them from becoming enlarged in the first place. While pore size is mostly genetic and you can’t ‘get rid’ of them, you can unclog them to shrink them back to their normal size. One of the most effective ways to do this is by reaching for glycolic and salicylic acids. They gently dissolve the bonds that bind dirt and dead skin cells to the skin’s surface, helping to achieve clear and blemish-free skin.
- Serum. Apply a regenerative serum in the evening to accelerate your natural healing and rejuvenation cycle. It replenishes moisture and strengthens your skin’s lipid barrier while you sleep, so you can wake up with clearer, more even, glowing skin.
- Moisturiser. Apply a moisturiser to seal in skincare benefits and hydrate skin overnight. Look for hyaluronic acid and niacinamide fuelled formulas that boost skin hydration, while calming redness, breakouts and sensitivity.
Goodbye Skin Blemishes, Hello Beautiful Skin
It's possible to say goodbye to blemishes, age spots, and acne that plague your skin with a dedicated skincare routine designed to reduce the appearance of enlarged pores, control oil production and balance your skin’s moisture levels.
The most effective way to see rapid and beautiful results from your treatment options is to adopt a multi-faceted approach - explore the home remedies that appeal to you, support your overall health holistically, and harness the power of science by using the proven products recommended by wellness professionals.
To speed up your way to clearer skin, try FaceGym’s Clean + Lift Workout. Clean + Lift combines FaceGym's Signature Sculpt Workout with a blast of Co2 and hyaluronic acid to deep clean pores and dissolve the dead skin cells and dirt that clog up your skin. Powered by Skin IV™️ technology, the Clean + Lift workout treats a number of specific skin needs to improve tone and texture with shots of vitamins and acids such as Glycolic, salicylic, vitamin A, E and C, to refine skin texture, fade pigmentation and even out skin tone.