Clear, even skin is pretty much the dermatological holy grail. With so many potential causes of whiteheads, blackheads and acne to consider, it’s important to tackle it holistically.
Our skin is an expression of what’s going on inside our body. Great skin comes from fuelling and nourishing our body effectively, as well as having the right skincare routine. Let’s check out the things that people with great skin always do:
- Minimise the skincare deadly sins - smoking, overexposure to the sun, falling asleep with make-up on. No matter how exhausted you are, or how desperately your head wants to hit the pillow, always remove your make-up. Removing make-up can be the difference between glowing, healthy-looking skin and a dull, blemish-troubled complexion. Sleeping with your make-up on not only clogs pores, it can actually push foundation and concealer deeper into pores, leading to acne breakouts. 24-7 make-up can also prevent the dead skin cells that are meant to shed daily from doing so. This causes them to get stuck to the skin’s surface, which in turn leads to blemishes and acne.
Protecting your skin against UVA and UVB rays that damage skin cells is the #1 way to have great skin. Whether the sun’s shining or not, apply a broad spectrum sunscreen daily.
- Stress less, sleep more. There may be no genie in a bottle to magic away stress, but there’s an arsenal of proven successes out there to help. Try meditation, exercise, massage, a hot bath, walk in nature, laugh with friends, and give yourself downtime without the devices (yes, that means no scrolling Instagram, checking email or bingeing Netflix). When it comes to getting enough shut eye, Sleeping Beauty had the right idea. 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep is the goal, because deep sleep is the time that our body repairs and rejuvenates.
- Be kind to your gut. Gut health cannot be underestimated. What we eat is reflected in our skin. Fuelling your body with a balanced, mineral and vitamin-rich diet is as essential to great skin, as air is to breathing. Think Omega 3s, multivitamins, non-processed and nutritionally dense foods such as green veggies, fruit, lean protein, nuts and seeds. We’re not suggesting that you don't indulge in your favourite bags of crisps or sweets occasionally, just keep the sugary treats and loaded carbs to a minimum. More and more studies are showing that refined sugar and white carbs cause sugar molecules to latch onto healthy skin cells and accelerate the breakdown of the collagen.
- Drink plenty of water morning to night. Aim for 1.5-2L of water daily for fully hydrated, glowing, flake-free skin. Remember– the water you drink while working out doesn't count in your daily dose.
- Hormonal balance. Hormones play a big role in maintaining the thickness, firmness and smoothness of our skin. Hormones are like tiny messengers communicating between different cells in our body. We need our hormones to be sending good messages to boost collagen production, regulate excess oil and increase blood flow and hyaluronic acid. All of these messages increase the skin’s water content and give us the plump, dewy, bouncy skin we love.
- Shake that booty. Workouts not only have a positive impact on your body and mood, they speed up the flow of nutrients, detoxification, lymphatic drainage, blood circulation and cell renewal that give skin a sought-after glow. Aside from hitting the gym or powering through pilates, there are the 40+ muscles in our face that are often forgotten. Try FaceGym’s Signature Sculpt Workout to get you face fit. Knuckle, whip and massage your face to stimulate circulation, improve lymphatic drainage and lift, tone and contour.
- The right skincare routine. A regular skincare routine is what great skin is made of and what helps with acne prone skin. Cleanse, moisturise and protect your skin against acne and environmental skin stressors using the right products morning and evening. If you want to supercharge your skincare routine, we recommend adding in regular facial workouts such FaceGym's Clean + Lift Workout to deeply cleanse and unclog pores, while power boosting hydration and glow with a blast of vitamin infusion to the skin.
Taking care of our largest organ means nourishing it from the inside and out. Self-care mixed with a consistent skincare routine that’s right for your skin type is the key to a healthy, even, glowing complexion.