Hyaluronic Acid. It’s skincare’s most valuable player and one of the most sought after ingredients when it comes to dewy complexions that radiate with the glow of youth.
Hyaluronic acid, often referred to as HA, is a type of molecule found naturally in the skin. It has the remarkable ability to hold 1,000 times its weight in water and keep this moisture at the surface of the skin. It’s pretty much the world’s best and tiniest sponge, helping your skin to stay hydrated and plumped-up throughout the day. This is largely the reason why hyaluronic acid is the go-to hydration ingredient for serums, moisturisers and make-up, and also for injectables.
Hyaluronic acid benefits the skin in a number of ways:
- Holds and binds water at the skin’s surface for a dewy glow.
- Helps skin to hold in water, preventing vital moisture from escaping the skin’s lipid barrier that can cause dryness, dehydration and dullness.
- Reduces redness and the visible appearance of acne. While it can't fill in scars, HA calms irritation, helping to soothe and also protect against the stressors that cause inflammation that leads to acne breakouts.
- Plumps up lines and wrinkles. Because its primary benefit is holding and binding water at the skin's surface, it’s extremely effective at giving skin bouncy suppleness and glow.
- Pairs well with most other ingredients including retinols, vitamins and most acids.
When using skincare products containing hyaluronic acid, here are some tips we’ve picked up from the experts:
- Apply to clean, damp skin before any other serum or moisturiser. To be effective HA needs to sit on the top layer of the skin.
- Always lock a HA serum in with a moisturiser or face oil- on its own it’s not enough.
- Hyaluronic acid was born to be a team player. It pairs well with almost any skincare ingredient, including retinol. The notable exception would be acids with low pH levels such as glycolic acid, because some research has shown that it may degrade HA, making it ineffective.
- For oily skin, use gel-based skincare product; and for dry skin try an oil-based product.
For an intensely hydrated, plumped-up glow, it’s a great idea to welcome hyaluronic acid serums into your skincare routine. FaceGym's Hyaluronic Roller is made up of 3,000 non-invasive dissolving microneedles filled with pro-grade Hyaluronic acid and peptides, the crystallized serum sinks deeply into the skin when it comes in contact with the moisture beneath the skin’s surface for a quicker, stronger effect. Use as a treatment, once a week for four weeks and like a mini bootcamp for your face, this tool leaves skin looking noticeably firmer, smoother and youthful.
For a superboost to your skincare routine, we recommend the FaceGym Cryo Contour Workout. This workout pairs FaceGym's Signature Sculpt Workout with a blast of Co2 and hyaluronic acid to deliver intense hydration for plumped-up, glowing skin.