Stress can wreak havoc on the body. Not only can it cause emotional turbulence, but it can cause skin issues too! Being in fight-or-flight mode and experiencing feelings of emotional distress causes our bodies to produce high amounts of the stress hormone Cortisol. This hormone is known to affect the immune system, making the skin worse at defending itself.
What Does Stress Do To Your Skin?
- Your body is not repairing itself as quickly meaning blemishes take longer to heal.
- Immune system may go AWOL which leads to skin becoming more itchy. Skin conditions such as eczema can worsen.
- Skin barrier function is impaired leading to skin being more dry and dehydrated.
- Increase in sweat and sebum production can lead to more bacteria on the skin that may cause spots.
- Cellular turnover is slower than normal leading to lacklustre and dull skin.
It’s a bit of a catch 22, the worse our skin looks, the more it can impact our mental wellbeing. So, what can be done?
5 Easy Ways To De-stress And Calm Your Skin
- Protect the skin from any other potential threats such as UV light.
- Hydrate yourself and your skin. Drink plenty of water and limit alcohol consumption. I’m addition moisturise your skin with Hyaluronic acid, ceramides, glycerin and polyglutamic acid.
- Add a gentle exfoliant such as low level lactic acid or fruit enzymes to regenerate the skin and bring back radiance. This will also help with congestion and bacteria. We recommend our FaceGym's Electro-Lite Energizing + Brightening Gel Cleanser featuring biotech enzyme, derived from papaya, and pore-reducing Hydroclay that team up to refine the skin’s texture and impart maximum radiance.
- Be gentle and try not to exacerbate the situation by using products that are overly strong or by picking spots.
- Try to practice mindfulness and meditation that can help you manage stress better. A moment of self-care such as a bath can also be a chance to breathe deeply and relax.